Tuesday 28 January 2014

Orange and ginger cake



Well, I must tell you about this gorgeous cake. It looks and tastes amazing but it's been a real challenge because the initial recipe didn't sound quite right. To give you an idea of how wrong it was I will mention a couple of things. The initial filling was supposed to be made out of 3 eggs, 200g caster sugar, 25g flour (yes, that's right!), orange zest and 100 ml orange juice. But that's not all, the worst bit was the timing and temperature: 20 min in an 140C fan oven. NO WAY JOSE! I thought.
But I wanted it anyway so I went ahead and changed it. I kept the same ingredients but changed the numbers a bit. I used 100 g flour, 125g sugar, two eggs and one egg yolk, zest of two oranges and 100 ml orange juice. The biscuit base is made out of 250g ginger biscuits and 85g butter. It all went in a 150C fan oven for 45 min.
I hope I didn't confuse you lot too much (I do that sometimes!).
Now the assembling bit. Wizz the biscuits and butter in a food processor then line a baking tray with baking paper. Press the biscuit base evenly and then stick it in the preheated oven (140Cfan) for 20 minutes. While the base is baking  you have time to make the filling which is basically mixing all your ingredients together. It will look runny and you WILL think you messed it up but I promise you it will set while in the oven.
You can change the recipe some more and use lemon or lime instead of orange.
Give it a go, it's great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment